- Iit Madras
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras
Inaugurated in 1959, Indian Institute of Technology Madras or IIT Madras is one among the foremost institutes of national importance in higher technological education, basic and applied research. In 1956, the German Government offered technical assistance for establishing an institute of higher education in engineering in India. The first Indo-German agreement in Bonn, West Germany for the establishment of the Indian Institute of Technology at Madras was signed in 1959. The Institute has evolved since then and is now not only one of the top in the country but in the world as well.
Currently, the Institute has sixteen academic departments and a few advanced research centres in various disciplines of engineering and pure sciences. It has almost 100 organised laboratories for various departments. A faculty of international repute, a brilliant student community, excellent technical & supporting staff and an effective administration have all contributed to the pre-eminent status of IIT Madras.
Departments in IIT Madras
- Aerospace Engineering
- Applied Mechanics
- Civil Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Engineering Design
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Management Studies
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical and Materials
- Ocean Engineering
IIT Madras Academic Programmes
The IIT Madras offers following academic programmes:
- Diploma (Programming)
- Diploma (Data Science)
- BSc (Programming and Data Science)
Under Graduate Programmes
- B.Tech (Duration – 4 Years)
- Dual Degree (B.Tech & M.Tech) (Duration – 5 Years)
- Dual Degree (BS & MS)
Post Graduate Programmes
- M.A. (Integrated): Duration – 5 Years
- M.Sc: Duration – 2 Years
- M.Tech: Duration – 2 Years
- MBA: Duration – 2 Years
Continuing Education Programmes
- AICTE Sponsored QIP
- EMBA Programme
- Web-enabled M.Tech Programme
Academic Research Programs
- Ph.D and M.S (by research) offered through Engineering, Science, Humanities and Management departments.
Joint Ph.D. programmes
- Joint Ph.D. with the Foreign institutions exist after enrolling into the Ph.D. programme.
International Interdisciplinary Master’s programs.
- Advanced Materials and Nanotechnology
- Biomedical Engineering
- Complex Systems and Dynamics
- Computational Engineering
- Cyber Physical Systems
- Data Science
- Energy System
- Quantum Science and Technology
- The Exchange program for UG/DD/MA/MBA/MTech students permits them to spend a semester abroad in universities that have an MOU with IIT Madras.
Admission to IIT Madras
For the undergraduate curriculum, admission to the BTech and Dual Degree (BTech MTech) programme is done through the Joint Entrance Examination - Advanced (JEE-Advanced). Admission to the five-year integrated Master of Arts (MA) programme is through the Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination (HSEE), an IIT Madras specific exam.
For the postgraduate curriculum, admission to the MTech and MS programmes are through the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE). The Joint Admission Test to MSc (JAM) is the entrance exam for the two-year M.Sc. programme, and other post BSc programmes. MBA candidates are accepted through the Common Admission Test (CAT). For exclusive details go to Entrance Exam Hub
Indian Institute of Technology Madras
IIT P.O., Chennai 600 036