Kalakshetra, as the name suggests, is a centre for artistic endeavour. Founded in 1936 by the vibrant visionary Rukmini Devi Arundale, the Institution stands testimony to her dream of creating a space where the essence of Indian thought would find expression through artistic education. An institution she established with the vision “of imparting to the young the true spirit of Art, devoid of vulgarity and commercialism.” Spread over almost 100 acres by the seashore in Chennai, the Kalakshetra Foundation, as it is known today, is a vital centre for the study and performance of fine arts.
Programs in Kalakshetra
- Diploma in Dance
- Diploma in Music
- Diploma in Visual Arts
Admission in Kalakshetra
Students between the ages of 17 and 25 who have passed the 12th standard are eligible for admission to the college. The prospectus and application form will be available on the web and in the College office in February of each year. The age restriction can be waived in the case of foreign applicants, after due consideration by a selection committee.
Part time classes (evening classes) are conducted for Bharatanatyam, Carnatic Music and Visual Arts
The Craft Centre at Kalakshetra, located in the extension across from the main Kalakshetra campus, was inspired by the same ideals that illuminated everything that Rukmini Devi undertook. In all that she did, Rukmini Devi’s aim was to “permeate the land with beauty of spirit and form.” The Craft Centre is
- Preparation of Kassim (basic black dye)
- Preparation of cloth (Myrobalam treatment)
- Cleaning of cloth and drawing with charcoal pencil. Preparation of pencil.
- Preparation of Kalam for Kalamkari painting and drawing of outlines with Kassim.
- Drawing and detail ornamentation with black dye.
- Drawing of decorative borders and motifs in the Kalamkari tradition.
- Preparation of “Kassim” (basic Black dye for Outline drawing)
- Preparation of Charcoal sticks for the sketching on cloth.
- Drawing of human figures, “Parivara devatas” “Vahanas” and other Mythological figures.
- Preparation of mordant solution and application on cloth.
- Washing and dyeing in Vat for developing red Colour.
- Painting of large pictures and story panels.
Kalakshetra Road, Thiruvanmiyur,
Chennai - 600041