- Tamil University
Understanding the importance of Tamil as a language, the Government of Tamil Nadu established Tamil University on September 1981. The seed of the University was however, sowed way back in 1925 during a confluence of veteran Tamil scholars at Thanjavur. However, the plan of establishing a Tamil University only materialised in 1981 and Thanjavur was chosen as the desired location as it was the seat of Tamil language during Chola dynasty. The University Grants Commission accorded a statutory recognition to the university in 1983 and advanced study in various other allied branches such as Linguistics, Translation, Lexicography, Music, Drama and Manuscriptology.
But this pure research-oriented University introduced academic research by offering M.Phil and Ph.D programmes in 1992 for a few disciplines such as Language, Literature, Translation, Sculpture, History and Architecture. Post graduate programmes was included in June 2003.
Vision of Tamil University
- To analyze and identify the contribution of Tamil culture to the mosaic of Indian Culture
- To reconstruct and revive the scientific thoughts, intellectual achievements and the outstanding industrial knowledge of the ancient Tamils for the use of the contemporary society.
- To study the grammatical and linguistic theories of Tamil language. To study the structure of Tamil language and the potentiality of Tamil Language. To create modern methods for language teaching.
- To translate rare books of Tamil into other languages and vice versa. To preserve and publish Tamil inscriptions, palm-leaf manuscripts, rare-paper manuscripts and rare books.
- To publish encyclopedias related to literature, grammar, science and technical glossary and Philosophy in Tamil.
- To recover and publish the lost cultural components of Tamil and the historical monuments through systematic research.
- To facilitate research on the cultural impacts of the Tamil Diaspora and the foreign relations of Tamizhakam.
Departments of Tamil University
Faculty of Arts
- Department of Sculpture
- Department of Music
- Department of Drama
Faculty of Manuscriptology
- Department of Palmleaf Manuscripts
- Department of Rare Paper Manuscripts
- Department of Epigraphy And Archaeology
- Department of Maritime History and Marine Archaeology
Faculty of Developing Tamil
- Department of Tamil Studies in Foreign Countries
- Department of Translation
- Department of Lexicography
- Department of Social Sciences
- Department of Scientific Tamil and Tamil Development
- Department of Education and Management
Faculty of Language
- Department of Literature
- Department of Linguistics
School of Philosophy
- Department of Tribal Research
- Department of Folklore
- Department of School of Indian Languages & Comparative Literature
Faculty of Science
- Department of Siddha Medicine
- Department of Ancient Science
- Department of Industries and Earth Sciences
- Department of Architecture
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Environmental and Herbal Science
- Department of Library and Information Science
Academic Programs in Tamil University
Post Graduate Programs
- M.A. Tamil Literature
- M.A. Tamil
- M.A. History, Art & Culture
- M.A. Applied Linguistics.
- M.A. Temple administration, Tourism & Philosophy
- M.A. History and Archeology
- M.A. Tamilology, Folklore & Culture
- M.A. Yoga
- M.A. Music
- M.A. Bharathanatiyam
- M.A. Applied Tamilology
- M.A. Social Science
- M.A. Tamilology & History of Editing
- M.Sc. Environmental Science
- M.Sc. Geology
- M.Sc. Computer Science
- M.Sc. Mathematics
- M.Phil and PhD. Programmes under all departments
- Saiva Siddantham
- Performing Arts
- Computer Applications
P.G. Diploma Courses
- Herbal Bio-Technology
- Environmental Management
- Siddha Drug Standardization
Post Diploma Courses
- Play Creation
- Certificate Courses
- Telugu Language
- Internet Language
How to Apply in Tamil University
The application form and prospectus can be obtained in person on payment of an application fee for postgraduate and doctoral programs.
One can also obtain application by post by sending a Demand Draft in favour of the Registrar, Tamil University.
Documents to be attached
- A Demand Draft / Bank of India Challan
- Attested Photocopies of certificates pertaining to the qualifying examination passed
- Attested Photocopies of Community, Transfer certificates and others
- A recent Passport Size Photo pasted on the first page of the application form
- Foreign University Graduates has to obtained equivalent certificate from the Association of Indian Universities
- Original Certificates should not be enclosed with the application
- The filled in application should reach the University in person or by post on stipulated time.
Tamil University Thanjavur – 613010
Tamil Nadu, India
91 4362 226720