Tamil Nadu Agricultural University
Tamil Nadu Agricultural University began its journey with the establishment of the Agricultural School in Saidapet, Madras, Tamil Nadu, as early as 1868 which was later shifted to Coimbatore. In 1920 it was affiliated to Madras University. In 1958, it was recognized as a Post-graduate Centre leading to Masters and Doctoral degrees. The Agricultural College and Research Institute, Madurai was established in 1965. These two colleges formed the nucleus of the Tamil Nadu Agricultural University when it was established in 1971.
In 1972, separate degree programmes of B.Sc. (Horticulture) and B.E.(Agriculture) were started. Faculty of Horticulture was established in 1979 and in 1980, B.Sc.(Home Science) programme was started at Madurai campus. The third Agricultural College was started at Killikulam in 1984 and the fourth at Kumulur (Trichy) in 1989.
Presently the B.Sc.(Horticulture) degree programme is being offered at Horticultural College and Research Institute, Periyakulam and B.Sc.(Forestry) degree programme at Forest College and Research Institute, Mettupalayam. The University now has research programs at more than 32 stations, spread over in Tamil Nadu with more than 1200 scientists and teaching faculty.
With the introduction of technology in agriculture, new courses have been introduced. B.Tech.(Food Process Engineering), B.Tech.(Agricultural Biotechnology) and B.Tech.(Horticulture) were introduced in the late 20th century. A new degree program B.Tech.(Energy and Environmental Engineering) was started during 2004 and B.Tech. (Bioinformatics) during 2006. B.Tech.(Agricultural Information Technology) and B.S.(Agribusiness Management) were started in 2007.
Academic Programs of TNAU
BSc Programs and Eligibility
Candidates should have passed 10 plus 2 under Board of Higher Secondary Education of Government of Tamil Nadu / Central Board of Secondary Education / Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations / other State Government Boards / other International Boards that are recognized are eligible for the following degree programs:
- B. Sc. (Hons.) (Agriculture)
- B.Sc. (Hons.) Horticulture
- B.Sc. (Hons.) Forestry
- B.Sc. (Hons.) Food, Nutrition and Dietetics
- B. Tech. (Agricultural Engineering)
- B.Sc. (Hons.) Sericulture
- B. Tech. (Food Technology)
- B. Tech. (Biotechnology)
- B. Tech. (Energy and Environmental Engineering)
- B. Tech. (Bioinformatics)
- B. Sc. (Agribusiness Management)
- B. Tech. (Agricultural Information Technology)
Post Graduate Programs
Faculty of Agriculture
- Extension Education
- Agri Business Management
- Plant Physiology
- Environmental Sciences
- Soil Science
- Nano science and Technology
- Genetics and Plant Breeding
- Plant Genetic Resource
- Molecular Plant Breeding
- Seed Science and Technology
- Plant Pathology
Faculty of Horticulture
- Floriculture & Landscape Gardening
- Spices, Plantation, Medicinal and Aromatic Crops
- Vegetable Science
- Fruit Science
- Faculty of Agricultural Engineering
- Land and Water Management Engineering
- Farm Machinery and Power
- Agricultural Process Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Storage Engineering
Faculty of Forestry
Faculty of Home Science
- Diploma in Agriculture
- Diploma in Horticulture
TNAU B.Sc. and B.Tech. Admission
TNAU offers admission to B.Tech. (4 years) and B.Sc. (3 years) programme in various specializations for which the registration will begin from May every year. The minimum eligibility for the B.Sc. and B.Tech courses is, the candidate must have completed Class 12th with minimum 60% marks in the relevant subjects in aggregate.
The selection of those applied for the course, will be done on merit basis and online counseling process after that. Students with highest scores are shortlisted for admission to TNAU.
TNAU M.Sc. and M.Tech. Admission
Along with UG courses, the university offers M.Sc. and M.Tech. programme of 2 years duration in several specializations. Application form for these courses can be obtained from the official website of the university. The minimum eligibility for M.Sc. is the candidate must have passed in B.Sc./B.Tech/B.E in the relevant stream and for M.Tech. the candidate must have passed B.Tech./ B.E in the related subject. MBA has only one The selection will be done on the basis of score in the Entrance Exam.
TNAU Ph.D. Admission
The university offers admission to research programs as well, in which Ph.D. courses have many specializations. Candidates with required eligibility can apply for Ph.D course by filling up the application form available online.
Affiliated Colleges of TNAU
- Adhiparasakthi Agricultural College, Kalavai, Vellore District – 632 506.
- Adhiparasakthi Horticulture College, Kalavai, Vellore District – 632 506.
- Thanthai Roever Institute of Agriculture & Rural Development, Perambalur – 621 212.
- Vanavarayar Institute of Agriculture, Manakkadavu, Pollachi – 642 103.
- Imayam Institute of Agriculture & Technology, Kannanur, Thuraiyur, Trichy District - 613 402
- PGP College of Agricultural Sciences, Palani Nagar, Sendhamangalam Road, Namakkal – 637 405
- RVS Agriculture College, Usilampatti, Thanjavur – 613 402
- College of Agricultural Technology, Kullapuram, Theni District – 625 562.
- Kumaraguru Institute of Agriculture, Sakthi Nagar, Erode District – 638 315
- J.K.K.Munirajah College of Agricultural Science, TN Palayam, Gobi (TK), Erode District – 638 506
- Don Bosco College of Agriculture, Takkolam, Arakonam (TK), Vellore District – 631 151
- RVS Padmavathy College of Horticulture, Sembatti, Dindigul District – 624 707
- JSA College of Agriculture & Technology, Podaiyur 606 108, Tittagudi Taluk, Cuddalore District
- SRS Institute of Agriculture & Technology, Vedachandur 624 710, Dindigul District
- S. Thangapazham Agricultural College, Vasudevanallur - 627 760, Tirunelveli District
- Sethu Bhaskara Agricultural College & Research Foundation, Visalayankottai, Karaikudi, Sivagangai District – 630 306.
- Nammazhvar College of Agriculture & Technology, Peraiyur Post, Kamuthi Tk., Ramanathapuram District – 623 708
- Adhiyamaan College of Agriculture & Research, Athimugam Village, Shoolagiri Taluk, Hosur – 635 109, Krishnagiri District
- Krishna College of Agriculture & Technology, Srirangapuram, Thoddapanaickanur BPO, Usilampatti – 625 532, Madurai District
- The Indian Agricultural College, Raja Nagar, Radhapuram – 627 111 Tirunelveli District
- Nalanda College of Agriculture, Nedungur, Trichy - 621 105
- Aravindhar Agricultural Institute of Technology,Aravindhar Nagar,Thenpallipattu Village,Kalasapakkam Taluk,Thiruvannamalai.
- Palar Agricultural College,Kothamarikuppam Village,Mailpatti (PO),Mailpatti (PO),Vellore.
- Dhanalakshmi Srinivasan Agriculture College,Thuraiyur Main Road,Perambalur.
- Mother Terasa College of Agriculture,Mettusalai,Illuppur (PO),Pudukkottai.
- Pushkaram College of Agriculture Sciences,Veppangudi Village,Thiruvarangulam (PO),Alangudi Taluk,Pudukkottai.
Research Stations in TNAU
For offline users, the facuility of using the library can be availed by sending written request through e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org Username and password will be sent through email within one or two days. This facility is provided free of cost and is only for the employees and students of this University. For more information, click here
Tamil Nadu Agricultural University
+91 422 6611200