Tamil Nadu National Law University
Tamil Nadu National Law University (TNNLU), the brainchild of former Honble Chief Minister Dr. J Jayalalithaa was established by the Government of Tamil Nadu in 2012 to provide quality legal education at the global level.
Objectives of Tamil Nadu National Law University
- to advance and disseminate learning and knowledge of law and legal processes and their role in national development;
- to develop in the students and research scholars a sense of responsibility to serve society in the field of law by developing skills with regard to advocacy, legal services, legislation, law reforms and the like;
- to organize lectures, seminars, symposia and conferences to promote legal knowledge and to make law and legal processes as efficient instruments of social development;
- to hold examinations and confer degrees and other academic distinctions and to do all such things as are incidental, necessary or conducive to the attainment of all or any of the objectives of the University.
Academic Programs of Tamil Nadu National Law University
TNNLU offers two under- graduate programmes, viz., B.A. LL.B., (Hons.) and B.Com. LL.B., (Hons.). Admission to the courses is on the basis of marks scored in the Common Law Admission Test (CLAT).
TNNLU is a member of Shastri Indo- Canadian Institute and it is a permanent member of Indian Academy of Social Sciences. TNNLU is also an emplannled institution with the Competition Commission of India.
- i) B.A. LL.B.(Hons.)
- ii) B.Com. LL.B.(Hons.)
The regular, full time programme is based on semester pattern. It is spread through ten semesters which encompasses wide ranging activities such as research projects, moot court exercises, inter-disciplinary lectures and compulsory internships upon completion of which the degree is awarded.
- Completion of Higher Secondary (10 plus 2) examination with 45% (40%in case SC/ST).
- Admissions to the undergraduate programme shall be in accordance with the scores obtained in the Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) only.
One Year LLM Programme
TNNLU currently offers One Year LL.M. degree programme in three streams namely:
- LL.M.( Corporate and Securities Laws)
- LL.M.(Intellectual Property Laws)
- LL.M. (Natural Resources Laws)
The one year Post Graduate programme is a regular, full time intensive programme based on semester pattern. As per UGC guidelines, a candidate admitted into the programme shall complete an overall nine courses and a dissertation for the award of the degree.
The admission shall be based on the marks attained through the Common Law Admission Test(CLAT) only.
Three or five year LL.B./or its equivalent with not less than 55% marks (50% in case of SC/ST students).
55% marks in the qualifying examination, or An equivalent grade in the grading system.Candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste or Scheduled Tribe shall be entitled to get relaxation of 5% of marks or a relaxation of corresponding grade in the CGPA.
Candidates seeking registration shall have passed the TNNLU Admission Test and ranked as per the norms laid down in this Regulation.
Candidates who possess national/state research fellowship with committed financial assistance at the time of seeking admission, in any of the national/state level eligibility tests conducted by the agencies so recognized by the TNNLU for the purpose, or passed UGC Lectureship Examination, are exempted from provision (ii) above.
Duration of the Programme
Ph.D. programme shall be for a minimum duration of three years, including course work and a maximum of six years.
Centres in Tamil Nadu National Law University
Centre for Research & Writing
The Centre for Research & Writing was inaugurated on February 5, 2018 with the motto Engage, Learn, Inspire. The primary objective of the Centre is to assist the students in improving their research and writing skills. Besides this, the Centre also assists and helps the students develop original ideas for further research. The Centre endeavors to develop a vibrant research community in the University. For more information, click here
Competition Commission of India (CCI)
Tamil Nadu National Law University has been selected as an Empaneled Institution (EI) by the Competition Commission of India (CCI) for the purpose of Competition Assessment (CA) exercise of legislation and policies. TNNLU was one among the four Universities across India to be empaneled by CCI for this work. For more information, click here
Centre for Labour and Development
The Centre for Labour and Development was launched on 21st July 2018 to promote inter-disciplinary research in various aspects of labour law, and theories of law and development. The Centre aims to conceptualize contemporary issues in labour law in terms of the interactions between law and social and economic development, including the study of development policies and programs, and the evolution of labour law within this context. For more information, click here
Hostels in Tamil Nadu National Law University
There are two hostels, one each for men and women.
The objectives of the Halls of residence are :
- to provide to the students of the University a congenial academic environment to live during their stay;
- to facilitate the students coming from different backgrounds have an opportunity to live together, imbibe a spirit of cooperation and goodwill and promote fraternity, and national integration;
- to provide opportunities for co-curricular and extracurricular activities for an all-round development of the individual; and
- to develop in the students the capacity to govern their own affairs.
Library of Tamil Nadu National Law University
The Tamil Nadu National law University has a three-storied building having approximately 9950 books on various titles along with reporters and journals like All India Reporter, All England Reporter, AIR Manual, Halsbury laws of England,Corpus Juris Secundum,Labour Law Journal, Madras Law Journal, Current Tamil Nadu Cases, Criminal Law Journal,Company Cases etc. For online resources, click here
The Tamil Nadu National Law University
Dindigul Main Road, Navalurkuttappattu,
Tiruchirappalli - 620 027, Tamil Nadu, India.
Telephone: 91 431 2692101/2692111
FAX: 91 431 2692101
E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org