Tamil Nadu Teachers Education University
Tamil Nadu is one of the most important states of India when it comes to higher education and professional courses. However, the need for quality teachers to disseminate knowledge in their subject matter always exists. Established in 2008 by the Government of Tamil Nadu, Tamil Nadu Teachers Education University is an exclusive University for Teachers Education to promote excellence in Teacher Education. The University monitors all 731 affiliated colleges of education including government, government-aided and self-financing colleges in whole of the Tamil Nadu State.
The University has established the following six departments and appointed one Professor for each.
- The Department of Pedagogical Sciences
- The Department of Value Education
- The Department of Educational Psychology
- The Department of Educational Technology
- The Department of Curriculum Planning and Evaluation
- The Department of Educational Planning and Administration
Objectives of Tamil Nadu Teachers Education University
- To provide high quality education, monitor Teacher Education as approved by National Council for Teacher Education at all levels in the State.
- To develop research facilities in Teacher Education.
- To find out ways and means to identify innovative courses in Teacher Education.
- To institute degrees and other academic distinction in Teacher Education approved by NCTE.
- To confer degrees and other academic distinction on persons who have carried out research in University or in any other centre or institutions recognized by the University under conditions prescribed for Teacher Education.
- To confer honorary degrees in teacher education in the prescribed manner and under conditions prescribed.
- To conduct and organize seminars, workshops and symposia in promoting Teacher Education with a view to offering programs in the latest field and to develop the extension activities.
- To promote quality in Teacher Education and to standardize the system of operation.
- To promote an awareness and understanding of the social needs of the country in the students and teachers and prepare them for fulfilling such needs.
Academic Programs in TNTEU
The university offers the following 4 programmes in most of its affiliated colleges:
- Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.)
- Master of Education (M.Ed.)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
- Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.)
Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) – 2 years is offered under various optional subjects and candidates seeking admission must fulfill the relevant eligibility criteria i.e. 10+2 HSC examination/ graduate degree/ postgraduate degree.
The university offers B.Ed. Degree programme in the following optional subjects:
- Tamil / Urdu
- Physical Science (Physics)
- Physical Science (Chemistry)
- Biological Science (Botany)
- Biological Science (Zoology)
- Computer Science
- Home Science
- Political Science
- Indian Culture
The candidate should have passed the 10+2 qualifying examination conducted by the respective State Board or CBSE or any other recognized board of Education / Examination.
Candidates who have passed UG Degree Examination of the UGC recognized Universities in any of the subjects offered by the Directorate of School Education at the Secondary/ Higher Secondary Education level are eligible for admission. If the candidate possesses UG as well as PG degree in the same subject, the marks obtained in the UG Degree alone shall be considered for eligibility criteria.
Candidates who possess the Post-Graduate degree in Home Science/ Economics/ Commerce/ Political Science/ Commerce/ Sociology/ Psychology/ Logic/ Indian Culture/ Philosophy with at least 50% marks are also eligible for admission. In this case, the major subject in the UG and PG Degrees shall be one and the same.
For MEd, the candidate should have passed Bachelor’s Degree Examination in Education of this University or some other University with at least 50% marks in theory and practical separately.
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) – Full-Time
Candidate should have obtained Master Degree with 50% marks or Master of Education (M.Ed.) degree with 55% marks.
Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.) – Full-Time (1 year)
The programme is offered in the following departments:
- Pedagogical Science
- Value Education
- Educational Psychology
- Educational Technology
- Curriculum Planning and Evaluation
- Educational Planning and Administration
Candidates should have qualified for M.Ed. degree of this university or any recognized university.
Candidates shall be required to have obtained a minimum of 55 % of marks in their Post-Graduate Degree in Education. A relaxation of 5% marks is provided for candidates belonging to SC/ST category.
Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.) – Part-Time (2 years)
Teacher candidates working in affiliated colleges or in Departments of the University or in Polytechnic approved by the Department of Technical Education or in approved Higher Secondary Schools and High Schools under State Board or Central Board or Education Instructors of Indian Armed Force who possess the M.Ed. degree with at least 55% marks are eligible for admission to Part-time M.Phil. Programme.
- Selection of the candidates will be done on the basis of marks secured in the qualifying UG/PG Degree examination.
- Candidates will be intimated for counselling on the basis of their rank. Allotment of college and course available at the time of counselling will be done based on the rank and communal reservations.
- Candidates can fill the application form online through the official website.
- Transfer Certificate
- UG Degree or Provisional
- PG Degree/Provisional
- B.Ed. Degree/Provisional
- B.Ed. Mark Statement
- Community Certificate
- Certificates of PWD (if applicable)
MPhil and PhD Program
The full-time M.Phil. program is for 1 year duration, while part-time course is for 2 years. The course duration of a Ph.D. program is 3 years. The minimum eligibility for all doctoral program is a candidate should have completed post-graduation in education. Seats will be allotted on the basis of marks obtained in entrance exam and performance in the interview conducted by the University.
Tamil Nadu Teachers Education University
Gangaiamman Koil Street
Karapakkam, Chennai - 600 097
(Adjacent to Govt.High School, Karapakkam Bus Stop: Karapakkam)
Tamil Nadu, INDIA.
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org