Central University of Tamil Nadu (CUTN)
Government of India founded the Central University of Tamil Nadu, along with eight other Central Universities, through an Act of Parliament in 2009. It is part of the greater role that the Central Government assumed in making higher education accessible to aspirants from the weaker sections of the society. The University started with eight students in M.A. English Studies in November 2009, at the Collectorate Annexe at Thiruvarur, 60 kilometers to the east of Thanjavur. But today the University is located seven kilometers to the north-west of Thiruvarur.
In 2017-18, 13 new programmes were introduced taking the total number to 46 programmes. Of them 25 are postgraduate programmes, 6 integrated programmes and 2 undergraduate programmes and 13 research programmes and diploma course in chemical lab technician.
To be a global destination for higher education which is ethically engaged, diverse seeking transformation in knowledge and scholarship.
- To fulfil the long-cherished aspirations of the people of Tamil Nadu to have a national level higher education institution par excellence and contribute substantiatively in the nation building exercise.
- Will devote to teaching, learning and multi-disciplinary research upholding simultaneously equity, access and excellence so as to be part of the globally acceptable higher education standards.
- Contribute to enhance Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER) and hence to national welfare sans prejudice, discrimination and bias based on gender, caste, community, regional and linguistic barrier.
- Develop the regional cultural richness and take it forward to interact with national cultural mosaic.
- Aim for international leadership in all fields of studies.
- Help create an egalitarian society by developing thought leaders with a difference in all fields of educational and research activities.
- Encourage students to respect all ideas, think and discuss with freedom of expression as a major vehicle of transformation leading to creativity with self-reliance.
- Connect with the local population and contribute to its development through outreach programmes and other initiatives.
Departments in Central University of Tamil Nadu
- Department of Physics
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Life sciences
- Department of Microbiology
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of English
- Department of Tamil
- Department of Economics
- Department of Hindi
- Department of Applied Psychology
- Department of Commerce
- Department of Management
- Department of Library Science
- Department of Education
- Department of Materials Science
- Department of Geography
- Department of Epidemiology and Public Health
- Department of Computer Science
Academic Programs in Central University of Tamil Nadu
- Integrated M.Sc. Chemistry
- Integrated M.Sc. Life Sciences
- Integrated M.Sc. Mathematics
- Integrated M.Sc. Physics
- MA Classical Tamil Studies
- MA Economics
- MA English
- MA Hindi
- MA History
- MA Mass Communication
- MA Economics (Actuarial Economics)
- MA Economics (Applied Quantitative
- MA Economics (Environmental Economics)
- MA Economics (Financial Economics)
- MA Economics (General Economics)
- M.Sc. Applied Psychology
- M.Sc. Chemistry
- M.Sc. Computer Science
- M.Phil. Applied Psychology
- M.Phil. Chemistry
- M.Phil. Commerce
- M.Phil. Computer Science
- M.Phil. English
- M.Phil. Geography
- M.Phil. Lib. And Inf. Science
- M.Phil. Management
- M.Phil. Mass Communication
- M.Phil. Mathematics
- M.Phil. Music
- M.Phil. Physics
- M.Phil. Social Work
- M.Phil. Tamil
Admission to the CUTN courses are based on marks of the respective qualified exams and CUCET result.
The University Library was established in 2009 and it serves the students, faculty members and staff of the university. The library has a collection of about 26,600 books. Of these more than 1,500 books are reference books The major resource base offered by the library to the faculty and research scholars of the University is the set of e-journals provided by the e-Shodh Sindhu – UGC – INFONET Consortium for e-Resources, an online journal consortium funded by the UGC. The Faculty, research scholars and students of the University can access as many as 15,000 core and peer-reviewed journals via this consortium.
Central University of Tamil Nadu
Thiruvarur - 610 005